Objectives being assessed
relationship between knowledge, research and practice
process of identifying a research question
research process to develop a research protocol/strategy
Apply a critical
approach to reviewing the literature
research question from ONE of the health themes provided below
Apply the PICO
or PIO format to the research question
inclusion and exclusion criteria
Develop a search
strategy to direct a search of relevant electronic health databases to locate
specific research articles related to your research question.
search strategy in the two selected electronic databases.
record 5 research articles relevant to your research question.
Rural and remote
You should present your assignment using the following headings
and ensure that you address each point described under each heading.
Background (1000 words)
1. Based upon the health theme you have chosen, state your research
question including the Population, Intervention, Comparison and Outcomes
(PICO) OR Population, Issue and Outcomes (PIO).
2. Explain how your research question is important to patient care,
nursing practice, professional knowledge or research.
Inclusion and exclusion criteria (800 words)
1. Develop and describe the inclusion and exclusion criteria relevant to your
2. Justify why the inclusion and exclusion criteria you have identified are
appropriate (in terms of study design, participants/population, intervention or
strategy (Total 1000 words equivalent)
1. Identify and record 2
electronic databases and explain why these databases are relevant to your
2. From your research question, identify and record key words that you will use
in your search of these 2 electronic databases.
3. Develop and record a simple search strategy relevant to your research
question using the keywords in addition to truncation, abbreviations, wildcards
and Boolean operators.
4. Implement the search strategy in the two selected databases and identify and
list 5 relevantresearch articles (using UniSA Harvard
referencing) that will enable you to answer your research question