Throughout this course, you have become familiar with a variety of concepts in statistical reasoning and analysis. You have explored the importance of statistical thinking in research and used your knowledge to compose your own quantitative research proposal. This Reflection Activity will give you an opportunity for self-assessment as you analyze your progress in the course.
To prepare for this Reflection:
Assess your progress and skills with quantitative reasoning and analysis. Where do you still need to improve, and what is your plan for improving these skills?
Consider what role this course has played in helping you determine an approach to your dissertation topic. Has your original topic and approach changed? Why? How?
To what extent has using a statistical package informed your understanding of research in general? Of how to read the findings of a research article?
Think about how this course fits into your residency Milestones. Are you on track? Have you registered for your next residency?
Think about any lingering questions that you have.
H.G. Wells once said that “Statistical thinking will one day be as necessary for efficient citizenship as the ability to read and write.” Do you agree with Wells’s statement? React to the statement in a paragraph or two to close your composition.
Compose a 2- to 3-page paper in which you assess your progress with quantitative reasoning and analysis. Be sure to include examples and information addressing the questions above. You may also address any lingering questions you have.
Details:This assignment focuses on the importance of self-assessment and reflection.Self-AssessmentSelf-awareness is essential for developing leadership skills. Recognizing your own strengths, weaknesses, and values, and understanding emotional intelligence and learning styles can help you to be a more effective nurse leader.For this assignment, you have the opportunity to take a variety of self-assessments to learn more about yourself and identify your assets and weaknesses as a leader. This will assist you in discovering how you can improve your own self-leadership skills. You will be asked to think critically about your results and submit a reflection as directed below.Complete each of the following self-assessments. Be sure to document the results of each assessment to assist you in completing the reflection portion of the assignment below.Emotional Intelligence Assessment: “Emotional Intelligence Test”: http://testyourself.psychtests.com/testid/3038Personality Assessment: “Personality Traits Test”: http://testyourself.psychtests.com/bin/transfer?req=MnwyMjk2fDE5NTM1MTV8MXwxfDE=&refemptLearning Styles Assessment: “The VARK Questionnaire: How Do I Learn Best?”: http://vark-learn.com/the-vark-questionnaire/Values Assessment: “Values Profile”: http://testyourself.psychtests.com/bin/transfer?req=MnwzMzE5fDE5NTM1MTV8MXwxfDE=&refemptValues Assessment: “Rokeach Values Survey”: http://faculty.wwu.edu/tyrank/Rokeach%20Value%20Survey.pdfDiversity Assessment: “Cultural Competence Self-Test”: http://www.healthystartpinellas.org/pdf/Self_Assess_5.pdfSelf-Assessment ReflectionBecoming self-aware is an ongoing process requiring introspection. The more often people practice self-reflection, the more opportunities they have to understand their own behaviors and adapt their approaches to working with other people, which can improve both your own and other’s abilities to meet their professional goals.In a 750-1,000 word reflective essay, address the following:Briefly summarize the results of each self-assessment.Identify the leadership style that closely aligns to your philosophy of care, and explain what appeals to you about that style.Reflect on how you might incorporate elements of that particular style as you exercise leadership in a practice or health care organization setting.Discuss any particular areas for improvement the assessments helped you identify and some steps for improving your leadership capabilities.You are required to cite three to five sources to complete this assignment. Sources must be published within the last 5 years and appropriate for the assignment criteria and nursing content.
Nursing care for a family
1. Develop competence in planning nursing care for a family.
2. Assist family members achieve an optimal level of health.
3. Provide health information to family members that allow clients to assume healthier behaviors.
Core knowledge development of family nursing requires the professional nurse to be knowledgable about family structure, function, dynamics, and theories. The professional nurse working with families who have children must also be proficient in social, psychological, and spiritual responses of children and families. Client education is one of the most important roles for a nurse in any health care setting. The goal of educating others about their health is to assist individuals, families, and communities in achieving optimal levels of health. Nurses provide information and skills that allow clients to assume healthier behaviors. Promoting healthy behavior through education allows clients to assume more responsibility for their health, resulting in better health maintenance habits.
1. Please read the ENTIRE interview guide before selecting and meeting with the family. Choose a family with an infant, toddler, preschool, school-aged or adolescent child. Do not use family members or other students. Consider families you know from your church, apartment complex, people you work with. Identify a family early in the semester to allow time for the completion of the assignment.
2. Adjust your visit times to the family’s convenience and plan to complete the visit in one hour or so.
3. Plan your visits so that you can meet as many family members as possible.
4. Obtain signature on permission form of an adult family member.
5. Explain to the family that this is a reciprocal agreement whereby you are learning how to help a healthy family in the community attain a higher level of wellness.
6. Share with the family that you will be writing a nursing care plan and creating a teaching plan for the family, but that this information is all confidential and is shared with faculty only. Names are not used in the written nursing care plan.
7. During the entire course of visits, the professional nurse/client relationship should be emphasized rather than friendly or social relationship.
8. Students are expected to wear appropriate clothing to the visit (see student handbook). A uniform is not necessary. Photo ID’s must be worn.
9. Complete a family assessment interview using some of the interview questions in the attached documents. Familiarize yourself with the questions prior to your first visit so that it is completed in a timely manner.
10. Everything is to be typed!
11. You are required to include care plan with the paper. You will need to keep the paper organized. Include headings and titles as needed. Not all of the information will be included in the care plan.
12. Include the following assessment information in your interview (this is to find a teaching topic and does not need to be including in the paper unless it relates to patient education.)
a. Family composition
b. Occupation and education of patient’s family members
c. Cultural and religious traditions
d. Family interactions and roles
e. Communication within the patient’s family
f. Health system considerations
g. Complete a Genogram of the family including at least 3 generations
a. Analyze the findings of your assessment
b. Identify family strengths and weaknesses
c. Identify and prioritize the patients and family needs
14. Develop a care plan for the family (not a single individual)
a. Use the care plan rubric laid out in 2450
b. Your goals and interventions should align with your teaching plan.
15. Develop a teaching plan
a. Assessment data:
i. The assessment data is used to form your teaching plan
ii. What did you see and hear during your assessment observation?
iii. Include the following information about the family, dividing into subjective and objective sections
1. Learning environment
2. Previous knowledge of the topic
b. Interpretation of data
i. What is your analysis of the family and your inferences and conclusions related to the appropriateness of the topic
ii. How will the interpretation influence your teaching?