Designing a Study
Create an example of a research question in an imaginary quantitative NURSING study you might design.
Identify the independent and dependent variable, and state the research hypothesis for your study. The variables must be categorical variables.
Select a non parametric test from Chapter 12 that would effectively test this hypothesis.
Describe how you can test the above hypothesis using that non parametric test.
BELOW IS THE BOOK FROM THE CLASS,PLEASE USE CHAPTER 12 .THANK YOU
Munro’s statistical methods for health care research
Chapter 12: “Examining Cross-Tabulations: The Chi-Square and Associated Statistics”
Mrs. White is a 55 yo female with a PMHx significant for HTN, and DM type 1. She
was admitted for abdominal pain. A CT scan revealed appendicitis. Her home
medications include: Metoprolol, Lisinopril, and regular insulin. You received her from
the PACU following a lap appendectomy.
PACU Report: AOx4, VS RR 24, HR 90, BP 125/90, T 99.8, SpO2 95% of 2LNC. Lungs
clear. No bowel sounds, Has a foley catheter to bedside drainage with light yellow urine.
Est. blood loss in the OR was 500cc. Pain currently at 4/10 with a PCA pump with
morphine sulfate. The PCA settings are as follows: Basal rate of 3ml/hr, pt dose of 0.5ml
Q15min with a 1 hour limit of 5ml/hr. IV fluids of D5 ½ NS @ 125ml/hr. #20 RAC.
H/H pre-op 13.5/40, post-op 10.5/32.5
1. List 3 priority nursing diagnoses.
2. Discuss the initial/priority interventions for this client. Include dependent and
3. What lab values are you going to need to focus on and why?
4. She is on both a beta-blocker and an ACE inhibitor, why, what is the rationale?
5. Her pain is being managed via a PCA pump. What is the route for this type of
6. The client has been NPO for the past 18 hours. Her blood glucose is 250mg/dl.
a. Provide an explanation for the elevation in blood sugar.
b. Determine the nursing priorities for this finding.
c. Discuss the priority assessments related to this treatment protocol.