Alzheimer’s disease (AD)
dementia related to HIV disease
electroconvulsive therapy (ECT)
Lewy body dementia
monoamine oxidase inhibitors
selective serotonin reuptake
tricyclic antidepressants (TCAs)
vagus nerve stimulation (VNS)
Upon completion of this chapter, you should be able to:
1. Define key terms.
2. Describe the pathophysiology of depression in the client with chronic illness or pain.
3. Describe the assessment, treatment, and nursing care of clients with depression from
chronic illness or pain.
4. Discuss the various causes of delirium.
5. Differentiate delirium, depression, and dementia.
6. Describe the assessment, treatment, and nursing care of clients experiencing delirium.
7. Discuss the major types of dementia and their symptoms.
8. Describe the assessment, treatment, and nursing care of clients with dementia.